Friday, August 28, 2009

Well, Mr. Blog - We Meet At Last

At BEA this year (that's Book Expo America, for the laymans), I went to a panel moderated by Chris Brogan, who said, among many other brilliant things, that telling someone you don't have a blog is akin to saying you don't own a telephone. I'm still not completely sold on that, but I definitely got his point. A lifetime ago (in technology-time), after livejournals came and went and allowed for blogs to take over, I decided to start one.

Years pass... (crickets).... Chris Brogan unintentionally mocks me... Months pass...(more crickets)... OK, no really; I'll start one.

Glass Cases is born!

So - what is Glass Cases and what makes it so special? So far, nothing. I'm a recovering MFA graduate who now works in publishing, but the last thing I want to write is another industry blog (there are far too many that are ten times better than anything I'll ever do). What I love is writing, good writing, and many different styles of writing. And what I love more is seeing writers (good writers) get published. The publishing industry has been on life support for the past two years, and agents, editors, and magazines haven't been taking as many risks when it comes to finding the next great story. The industry is starting to resemble its former self (slowly), but until it fully recovers, I hope Glass Cases offers aspiring authors an opportunity to share their work with people who may not get to see it otherwise.

Incidentally, the name "Glass Cases" refers to one of my favorite lines from The Catcher in the Rye
"Certain things, they should stay the way they are. You ought to be able to stick them in one of those big glass cases and just leave them alone." 

Given that this was said by America's favorite cynic (or at least, mine), you can interpret this as you may. But, I'd like to think it means that some things, the things we find really beautiful or meaningful, should be preserved. This is my attempt at trying to preserve some of them. 

While I hope that many people read and enjoy this blog, I do not want a million submissions disguised as comments. Please email me at glasscasesblog@gmail.com with your story, novel excerpt, or essay. Eventually I would like to create "themed" months (or weeks, depending on the number of submissions), but for now, I'll take any subject or genre (yes, genre - it's not a dirty word, folks!). My brain tends to love the literary, but I appreciate a well-told story, whether Proust himself can't figure it out or whether the main character saves the world from evil space robots, who are also detectives, and may or may not find love where they least expect it (ok, well maybe not quite that, but you get my drift). 

I'm new here; be nice.

Sarah

3 comments:

  1. I laughed at your comment--recovering MFA student. I'm pursuing my MA full-time (on top of working full-time) and, after fifteen months of this--non-stop--I'm approaching exhaustion. Recovering is the perfect word because my studies have engulfed me. I'm glad you're here, Sarah, and doing what you're doing. You're definitely massaging a niche.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks Gale! Going back to this post also makes me see how completely new to FORMATTING I was! Sorry this looked so awful.

    Good luck with your MA :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for creating this website! I'm a fellow story enthusiast and it's always nice to find my "kin" out there. I'm glad you're in a position where you can find those stories worth sharing, worth preserving.

    I've just today found this blog, so I'm starting from Day One, but it's great to see how successful this has been and I wish you several more fulfilling and joyful years to come.

    ReplyDelete