In the late '90s and early '00s, I noticed that the use of the rhyme "faded" and "jaded" appeared all-too-frequently in song lyrics and it made me want to scream. While (I hope) you don't resort to rhyming in your prose works-in-progress, there are several words, phrases, and devices that show up in literature that I beg you to steer clear of. (Ending a sentence with a preposition is NOT one of them.)
1) Doing anything "with a start." This phrase is most commonly used when a character wakes up. Has anyone ever used this phrase in real life? If it's not said in life, it should not be said on the page.
2) "Ravenous." In general, I'm a fan of this word. It always implies intense hunger, lust, or both (!). But, I see it so often in all genres of literature that it's beginning to lose its impact. The thesaurus is your friend, which is how I assume the use of this word came about in the first place, and now it's time to find a new "original" and amplified way to say hungry.
3) Describing silence as "deafening." It's not.
4) Wearing Cutoffs. Part of the reason why Tobias' cutoffs on Arrested Development were so funny is because cutoffs in general are ridiculous and haven't been worn since the days of Wham. Yet, more authors than you would think often describe their characters wearing cutoffs. No gender, race, socioeconomic status, etc. are spared. Sorry, but unless your M.C. is attending a Village People reunion concert, painting a house in 90 degree heat, or is a never-nude, cutoffs are just not acceptable.
5) Prologues. This might be a personal preference, but I think using this device to tell your story should be abolished from literature. 99% of prologues can be turned into the first chapter and the other 1% can be revealed throughout the work in flashbacks, background info, character building, etc.
6) Pillow-fight fantasies. This is for the men out there who are attempting to write in the voices of women. Very rarely do I find a male author writing from a female POV who doesn't make their M.C. get her period, masturbate, or look at herself naked somehow. Fellas, really? Do you think we all sit around drinking cosmos while talking about shoes and multiple orgasms too?
7) "Needless to say..." I attribute my dislike of this phrase to a former journalism professor who simply said, "If you don't need to say something, then just don't say it." I completely agree.
Feel free to add to this list. I'm sure there are many more cliches and pet peeves to know and avoid.