Monday, March 01, 2010

Less Equals More?


As many of you probably know, SMITH Magazine began a series called the Six-Word Memoir. The most famous six-word memoir is arguably Ernest Hemingway's, which is "For sale. Baby shoes. Never worn."

Over the weekend, The Huffington Post ran a story featuring some six-word memoirs, and, to his credit, James Frey's is pretty good. I have yet to perfect my memoir, and I have been thinking of one for over a year. I like the idea of setting limitations on myself to breed creativity, but I find I never can stay within my own lines. Now that I've joined Twitter, I can see the importance of brevity (well, sometimes) and appreciate a witty, informative tweet, knowing the person only had 140 characters with which to express his or her sentiment.

Given my penchant for direct, no frills writing, I'm actually surprised it took me so long to join Twitter and is taking me even longer to think of six words that encompass my life. OK, so when I put it that way it does sound pretty hard.

Do you ever place writing limitations in your own work just to see what happens? For fun, try to come up with a six-word memoir and post below. I'll start: "Born. Read Books. Here I Am."

Like I said, I haven't perfected it yet.

2 comments:

  1. I somehow missed the penultimate paragraph and thought that "Like I said, I haven't perfected it yet" was your 6-word memoir. First thought was "I think that's more than 6 words," followed by "...I like it!"
    -KJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I like it too. Why didn't I think of that!?

    How about, "Work in progress. Try again later." ?

    ReplyDelete