Friday, March 05, 2010

Now Why Didn't I Think of That?

I'm going to be honest. Today's blog post is basically  an excuse for me to talk more about how much I loved, and envied, my dear friend's (and soon-to-be-ex colleague) dramatic interpretation of analyzing a query letter. It is called Query Snark: A Play in One Act, and it reveals the ridiculousness of the querying process through the work of The Beatles. It's the combination of these two things that make me jealous I didn't think of it first, so all I can do now is share it with as many people as I can and reluctantly attribute its credit to her.

But, of course, it also got me thinking of what else I envy, creatively speaking. I don't mean in the sense that I wish I had the idea for The Da Vinci Code so I could make tons of money, though that would have been nice. For example, one of my favorite authors is Kelly Link. If I had to place her in a genre, I guess it would be "magical realism," but let's put labels aside for now. Kelly Link, to me, represents the perfect combination of wit, fantasy, pop culture, and an "under 40" appeal that still sounds wise beyond its years. She is how I would write if I had the talent; therefore, she tops my list of "Dah! If only I could've written that!"

What out there have you read (or watched) that made you say that? I know I went with an entire author, but that's only because I can't even count the number of lines, paragraphs, or even word choices that I've read and thought, simply, yes.

4 comments:

  1. I wish I could have written The Book Thief by Markaus Zusak because the writing style brings the narrator, Death, to life so well and gives him human qualities despite Death saying he doesn't understand humans. Quite simply, Death is the kind of guy I'd like to hang out with if only it didn't involve dying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right now, I'd probably say I wish I could've written Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers. I read it when I got struck by a girls and bullying idea for a YA novel, and was told to read SGA first to make sure it didn't overlap too much. Man. That book was just powerful for me, in so many ways.

    Of course, now I'm a little intimidated to carry on with my WIP--meep! :D

    And if I can include TV--man, I wish I could've written Buffy. Joss W has mad skillz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, thank you both for suggesting books I have yet to read, and for confirming all of the amazing things I've heard about both.

    And, yes, if I had even a FRACTION of the talent Whedon has, I wouldn't even know what to do first. Frankly, I don't know how he functions knowing that he's Joss Whedon. I'd be squealing with glee all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great question. White Oleander would be one. Ordinary People would be another. Weight of Water (Anita Shreve), too.

    ReplyDelete