Friday, April 09, 2010

Big News!

Big news that I can (officially!) share with you all - I am now an associate agent with Curtis Brown, Ltd! I am very, very excited about this. I've been with Curtis Brown since 2008 as an assistant to the foreign rights agent, and while some of you may have already suspected (via here, Twitter, etc) that I'm starting to build my own list, please consider this my "official" announcement. Tell your writer friends! And use this link to learn more about what I'm looking for and how to submit a query to me.

So, what does this mean for Glass Cases/mankind in general?

It means that I'd love to keep posting stories and using the blog with my original intention in mind. The guidelines for the blog are on the side, as always, and have not changed. However! I must give the disclaimer that Glass Cases submissions will not be considered queries to me or to Curtis Brown, Ltd. in any way. Any query that shows up in my Glass Cases inbox will get instantly deleted. Please, please use the CB guidelines and send me a query via standard mail or via my CB email address. (Again, see the links above.)

Sorry if this comes off as harsh. I also have faith that you didn't need to be told in the first place, but sadly I must cover all bases. It's just that I'd really like to keep up the blog as it is now and not have to worry about my worlds colliding, thus creating chaos.

Moving on.

In more awesome news, here are some links to know and love this week:
1) Janet Reid, Suzie Townsend, and Joanna Stampfel Volpe present A Day in the Life of a Literary Agent. Hilarity ensues.
2) The Rejectionist speaks to MFA graduates who, while taught how to be excellent writers, are not (unfortunately) taught the realities of publishing. (Please read if you are in/graduated from such a program and are trying to get an agent!)
3) Not book-related, but it involves the cast of Mad Men performing the opening of Bye Bye Birdie, which automatically makes it worth watching:

Have a good weekend everyone!

24 comments:

  1. Congratulations on becoming an agent!

    That's awesome that Mad Men did a spoof for Bye Bye Birdie. That was the first musical I was in during high school. Good times. Thanks for sharing the link!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news, Sarah!! Hope you get lots of submissions (and that you stay the incredibly warm and personable personage you are, despite the demands of the post)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best wishes and well done, Sarah. Curtis Browm is the best..

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fantastically awesome news!!! Congrats and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I really want to watch the Mad Men seasons again. I forgot how much I love that show. Best part of that video... Jon Hamm, though I have a soft spot for Peter. Whatever that actor's name is.

    Congrats on Curtis Brown! I heard the news from Nathan Bransford's tweet, and I'm looking forward to querying you soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the support everyone!

    (And for enjoying that Mad Men video as much as I did!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. yay congrats!!!

    and yesssss to those links!! (your choices are proof that you are awesome!)

    best of luck in the querying world!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. *applause*

    YAY. This is so exciting!

    CONGRATULATIONS!

    Can't wait to tweet this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. CONGRATS!!
    What fun and exciting news! I hope you keep us updated about your progresses and success!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats! *throws confetti and jelly beans*

    But um yeah, we all suspected this was already in the works. Glad to see it's "official." :)

    And how did I not know you had a blog? Now I need to look back through archives and see what I missed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. CONGRATS!!! That is so so exciting!!!!!! I wish you lots of luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's so wonderful, Sarah. I bet you'll love your new job! Congrats! I bet you'll get lots of great submissions.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations, Sarah! I'm so happy for you! I love when good things happen to wonderful people.

    I only discovered MAD MEN a couple of weeks ago, and can't believe I didn't watch it sooner. It's fantastic. I promptly purchased the first three seasons. That spoof is hilarious. Thanks for posting the link.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW - Congrat's Sarah! That's awesome news! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations! I found you via SJDBrandon's blog, and think that you've been doing here with your blog is great. Best of luck in your new venture, and I might just sum up the courage to query you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello there...congratulations!

    I just discovered your blog today as I've re-started my search for an agent, and I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask, but do you represent international authors? Say from a far-away-land in the Caribbean called Trinidad which you may or may not have ever heard of? (My book's a YA multicultural fantasy, btw.) Just wondering...

    Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sarah,

    I've only known you for a nanosecond,but I can tell that you are perceptive and enthusiastic. Both will serve you well at CB.
    Best of luck!

    Anne Henry

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay! I'm so happy for you, Sarah. You seem like a very hard worker and I'm sure that you deserve such a title. Keep up the fantastic work; perhaps I shall send you a query at some point... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  19. do you reply to queries if you are passing on them, or is the lack of reply statement enough?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations, Sarah! You oh so most definitely deserve it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations Sarah! I got word on your new "post" from Brian Henry's newsletter (in Toronto). Love your blog and your enthusiasm, you are on my dream query wish list -- please check your in-box. You will see me there. Fingers crossed. All the best, B Jas

    ReplyDelete